Sudan ready to train unified command leaders: official

The government of Sudan has expressed its willingness to train South Sudanese military leaders appointed to serve in the country’s military command structure, a presidential advisor has disclosed.

Tutkew Gatlauk Manime, an advisor on security affairs, said President Salva Kiir had already received lists of the opposition officers to be integrated into the army.

“Our brothers in Sudan are not going to leave us alone. They will stand side by side and back-to-back with us throughout the transitional period. We have been receiving these assurances of support from the Sudanese leadership, especially from the chairman and deputy chairman of the sovereign council. Through them and in various discussions, we have received assurances that they will train some of the top of our military leaders,” Manime told Sudan Tribune on Monday.

He added, “This is going to be a big support. We will need skills and knowledge transfer training for both officers and men”.

On March 27, the parties to the September 2018 revitalized agreement signed a deal mediated by the Sudanese government that ended a stalemate over the command structure of the unified forces.

The deal also followed disagreements within the peace parties which saw SPLM/A-IO representatives pull out of the security mechanisms over alleged violation of the ceasefire agreement by the Kiir-led party (SPLM).

According to the agreement, the power-sharing in the unified army gives the incumbent SPLM party 60% and the other 40% to two armed groups.

South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA), a coalition of opposition groups that signed the peace deal on Monday said it had completed internal consultations and handed the list of its nominees for the unified command structure its representative at the presidency level, Hussein Abdel Akol.

Akol is currently the country’s vice president in charge of service delivery cluster.

SSOA is part of the 40% allocated to opposition in the command structure.

The agreement permits the opposition alliance to nominate military leaders for positions of director of riverine unit, director of border police, director of training in the National Security Services, deputy director of external security and officials in the prison and reform, wildlife and civil defense units.

Sources within the presidency told Sudan Tribune on Monday that Kiir would make appointment to the command structure once he obtains all lists of the nominees.

The appointment and the announcement of the formation of the unified command structure will pave way for the pass out of 50,000 forces in all the training centers including the army, police, national security, prison, wildlife and civil defense.

Source: Sudan Tribune