Property of unknown value was destroyed after a fire burnt down shops in Mayom main market of Unity State.
Traders whose goods were destroyed in the fire last week said more than 13 shops were burnt to the ground by the fire suspected to have been caused by a faulty power circuit.
Ahmed Yousif Idris, a Sudanese trader from the Darfur region in Mayom said he lost goods worth more than 2 million SSP.
“I have commodities in my shop at the market that is equivalent to 2,600,000 SSP and all of them have got burnt,” he said.
Phar Jany Koryom, another trader in the Mayom market, said he too lost his merchandise in the fire.
“I have 35 bags of sorghum in my shop consumed by the fire and I got burned in that incident,” Koryom said.
James Chuol Gatluak Manime, the Commissioner of Mayom county told Radio Tamazuj Wednesday that the fire was caused by a generator that was supplying power to the shops on Saturday.
Chuol stated that the fire was an accident and not an arson attack.
“The traders who have lost their goods are from Nuer, Darfur, and Arab. I request them to bring their report on Friday morning to my office,” said the commissioner.
Source: Radio Tamazuj