Sudan extends ceasefire with holdout groups

Sudan’s Head of the Sovereign Council has extended a unilateral ceasefire with holdout rebels in the country’s Darfur and South Kordofan the Sudanese army said on Sunday.

“The Chairman of the Transitional Sovereignty Council, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Lt-Gen Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, issued a decision to renew the ceasefire, across the country and on all fronts,” reads a military statement seen by the Sudan Tribune.

This decision aims at creating an atmosphere of stability and security in the country. In order to usher in a new era of peace, tranquillity and security, further said the statement.

Talks between the government and SPLM-N led by Abdel Aziz al-Hilu have stalled since last year over the extent of the separation between the state and religion.

While the SLM of Abdel Wahid al-Nur refuses to engage in negotiations with the transitional authority saying they want to hold a comprehensive conference in Khartoum about peace in Sudan.

The government and the SPLM-N used to renew unilateral ceasefire every six months approximately.

 

Source: Sudan Tribune