South Sudan condemns killings in Abyei region

May 18, 2021 (JUBA) – South Sudan has condemned the killing of 11 people in the contested oil-producing region of Abyei on Sunday.

Officials in the area said at least seven other people were wounded during the armed attack at Dungoub, a village east of Abyei town.

South Sudan’s deputy Foreign Affairs minister, Deng Dau Deng, regretted the clashes between the Messiriya and Ngok Dinka clans.

“Yesterday [Sunday] 11 people were killed and 20 others wounded in Abyei and we are really sorry for the loss of lives of the people that have got back to settle on their land to be able to farm,” he told Xinhua on Monday.

Deng said the existing cordial relations between Sudan and South Sudan should help reach a final settlement on the disputed region.

“The South Sudanese and Sudanese governments are partners. We have supported peace efforts in their country [Sudan] and we are discussing the issue of Abyei to be resolved like the rest of Sudanese problems so that people of Abyei can live in peace,” he stressed.

Abyei remains a disputed area between South Sudan and neighbouring Sudan.

Last week, the UN Security Council (UNSC) extended the mandate of its Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) until November 15, 2021. The Security Council also resolved that the Abyei Area shall be demilitarized from any forces other than UNISFA and the Abyei Police Service.

 

Source: Sudan Tribune