COVID-19 Supplies From Alibaba Never Reached Eritrea

Much publicized COVID-19 supplies donated by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma and his Alibaba Group never made it to Eritrea, despite Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's saying the supplies had been delivered to the entire continent. The reasons why the goods did not reach Eritrea are unclear, but rights activists accuse the government of ignoring the needs of its people. Two officials at the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,…

COVID-19 National Emergency Response: Risk Communication, Social Mobilization and Community Engagement Strategy, April – September 2020

The purpose of this strategy is to inform the South Sudan Risk Communication Social Mobilization and Community Engagement (RCSMCE) Technical Working Group (TWG) work for Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). It is a living document that will be regularly updated as the situation evolves in the country. Introduction The outbreak of COVID-19 that started in China in December 2019 continues to pose a significant risk to international public health security and…

COVID-19 – Key messages for POC sites

1 The risk of COVID-19 transmission and infection in congested sites is very high. Decongestion, or avoiding densely populated areas, can reduce transmission and the likelihood of becoming infected. Once there is a case at the site, it’s highly likely that the virus will spread rapidly. There is no vaccine for this disease at the moment; the only effective vaccine available to all of us is physical distancing and isolation, which…

WFP South Sudan Situation Report #266, 03 April 2020

In Numbers 6.01 million people facing acute food insecurity from February to April 2020 (IPC) 1.7 million acutely malnourished women and children (IPC) 1.57 million people assisted by WFP in February 2020 1.47 million internally displaced people (OCHA) 2.2 million South Sudanese refugees (UNHCR) 188,528 seeking shelter with the UN (UNMISS) 56% 44% Highlights WFP and cooperating partners reached 1.57 million people with vital food and nutrition assistance in the…

‘WORST YET TO COME’ FOR COUNTRIES IN CONFLICT, SAYS UN CHIEF

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres Friday renewed his call for a global ceasefire, urging all parties to conflict to lay down arms and allow war-torn nations to combat the coronavirus pandemic. "The worst is yet to come," Guterres said Guterres said there had been some progress following his March 23 call for peace, but that fighting still rages in a number of countries, hampering the ability to put into place plans…

Africa’s Conflict-Ridden Regions Face Another Existential Threat in COVID-19

In the West African country of Burkina Faso, rising insecurity has shuttered dozens of health clinics and left just three capable of carrying out coronavirus testing. In nearby Chad, a COVID-19-triggered drop in crude prices could translate into problems paying the Sahel region’s most powerful army fighting an Islamist insurgency. And in nations ranging from Mali to the Democratic Republic of Congo to South Sudan, years of unrest have weakened…

Secretary-General Reiterates Appeal for Global Ceasefire, Warns ‘Worst Is Yet to Come’ as COVID-19 Threatens Conflict Zones

Following is UN Secretary-General António Guterres’ update on his appeal for a global ceasefire amid the COVID-19 pandemic, in New York today: Ten days ago, I issued an appeal for an immediate ceasefire in all corners of the globe to reinforce diplomatic action, help create conditions for the delivery of lifesaving aid and bring hope to places that are among the most vulnerable to the COVID-19 pandemic.  This call was rooted in…

Coronavirus restrictions hamper aid access for Sudanese in need

The United Nations and its partners are putting in place alternative plans to ensure the continuity of humanitarian assistance in Sudan, as measures taken by the Government to prevent the spread of COVID-19 are having an impact on aid access, deliveries and services.   According to Jens Laerke, Deputy Spokesperson at the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), seven COVID-19 cases, including two deaths, have been confirmed in…