Muscat Storm continued to build on its impressive season with a commanding 7-2 victory over an energetic British School Muscat (BSM) side in Muscat recently.

Storm had control of the game from the start and enjoyed the majority of possession throughout the contest. Had it not been for some miraculous saves from the BSM keeper, the victory margin could have been much bigger.

Storm had its first clear chance of scoring in the fifth minute when Malchus Hilton linked up with Mark Lennon and the former’s finish went wide. It wasn’t long until the opening goal came when some link-up play between Oli Myhill and Kirk McPherson saw the latter break through, but as he slipped into the box, he was pulled down by a BSM defender. McPherson stepped up to score the penalty.

BSM was struggling to get out of its half and with Storm playing from the back and with plenty of space, Lee Ebbutt and Ron Polson were controlling the pace of the game. BSM was being stretched and the movement of McPherson and Hilton was causing the visiting defence all sorts of problems.

As Hilton received the ball on the edge of the box, he rolled his defender and unleashed a shot to the top corner to make it 2-0 for Storm. Then just before the half-time whistle, Giorgio Di Spiga picked up the ball ten yards out and, thanks to his quick feet, he found the target to make it 3-0 for Storm at the break.

BSM started the second half positively and tried to stifle Storm’s passing game. James Ogilvy sent a shot that was parried by Storm’s goalie Fahim, but Abdullah al Busaidy followed it up to pull one back for BSM.

Storm responded quickly with Lennon becoming more dominant. His quick thinking released Hilton in the 52nd minute, who floated past two defenders and as he looked to finish his move, he was caught by the defender. Hilton took the penalty and smashed it into the net for his second goal, making it 4-1 for Storm.

The BSM players couldn’t catch their breath and when Ebbutt slipped the ball to Hilton, the latter found McPherson, who slotted the ball home neatly, making it 5-1.

McPherson completed his hat-trick only minutes later as Storm went up 6-1. Some lazy defending allowed BSM to get back into the game again when Busaidy scored his second goal after finding some space down the right side.

With seconds to go, Davis Rizzolo unleashed a thundering shot past the BSM keeper to score his team’s seventh goal of the match.

Ebbutt, Muscat Storm’s manager, said, “It was a great performance, we were disciplined and we played some lovely football. BSM are young and energetic and are always a difficult team to beat. However, tonight we were at a different level.”

SOURCE: Muscat Daily